Thursday, May 17, 2012

Tuffy Update: Post-Op #2

I know, this is a fitness blog, but it's MY blog. And anything can happen in your journey. I have decided to document everything in Tuffy's Fight. I will do one entire blog on this once all the info is in, and also a YouTube on it. I feel that ALL pet owners need to know about this. That 'little list of side effects", you know the ones we laugh at like on TV, CAN come true. And DEATH should NOT be a 'side-effect'!

Last blog I was adamant that I would not let them amputate Tuffy's leg. However, Sunday night I received an email from her main Vet at Banfield. In it she stated that she was aware I had scheduled the surgery and that of course it was my decision, but that she strongly urged I reconsider as it would give her the best possible chance of survival, and that cats do really well on 3 legs. And wasn't that really the end goal? Her survival? I didn't want to rob her of a healthy leg, but I also didn't want to put her through surgery, spend all my savings and then find out we didn't get it all and still lose her. On Monday morning I met with the surgeon who was very comforting, well as much as she could be under such uncertain circumstances. I went with what the professionals thought would give her the best chance. I asked her WHO has this kind of money?! I found out a dog had been discharged with a total bill of $40,000. That's not a typo.

Dr. Carlson called me after surgery was complete Monday afternoon letting me know Tuffy had done just fine. Too late to turn back now. In a way it was a small relief. They were so understanding and let me know I could call back anytime. I did that night to check and see how she was. She had a slight fever spike, and wasn't eating yet. We had thought I might be able to take her home on Tuesday night, but she still wasn't eating and was in pain. I was able to visit. Mom came with me so that I wouldn't have to face my baby's new form alone. We had to wait a while which killed me. They were doing a blood transfusion. They brought us into a patient room and brought her in. She purred for me right away. She was hooked up to an IV drip with pain meds. She was VERY drugged up! HUGE eyes! Mom and I tried to keep her from moving. It was so sad to see her try to get up and fall. The surgery tech, Sandy, came in and told us we could put her down on the floor. They are used to this, like it's nothing. I was shocked but she said she was already trying to get up and walk in her cage. I just had visions of everything opening up and her growling/yelling at me. Sure enough, she tried and tried, finally crawling in my lap and purring loudly, comfortable. We did feel a bump and freaked out right away. Sandy got one of the oncologists and she took an aspiration of the bump but determined it was just hard skin, or dry cyst. We will re-check just in case in 30 days.
Today was pick-up day. I had the morning off so I could clean, change the litter and vacuum for her arrival home. I taught my noon cycle class and decided I was not going into the office. Mom and I drove up to get her. There were things to go over. While she's healing for the next 2 weeks I need to keep her confined so she doesn't go all over the place and keep her away from her brother. As she sits in my lap now, I can tell you I don't think that will be a problem. She has a Fentanyl patch on and I have more meds to give her when/if she exhibits more pain. Sandy was surprised how easily and loudly Tuffy purred for me since she wouldn't for them. She also got another collar/cone that is more comfortable and easier for her to eat. I picked up the spare litter box I stored at mom's and brought it home for my bedroom where I will be keeping her. The first thing I did was get my kitty wipes and wipe down her fur to clean her.

Dash had no idea what to make of it. If he gets close, she growls at him. I must say she smelled really bad. They kept her clean and dry-bathed her. But she obviously didn't smell like herself. I can't explain it, but it made me nauseous. I've taken a few anatomy classes with dissection in my days, and it was a mix of that, blood, urine all mixed together. Dash had very wide eyes as he watched her hobble along. She ate right away. Then I followed her as she wobbled to the bathroom. I wasn't sure how that worked. It looked like she was laying in the litterbox. She'll get better at it, that's probly why she smelled a bit. Whenever I sit, she snuggles right in my lap. Makes it tough to get my butt up. It hurts me to look at where her leg was. I hope I made the right decision. It kills me waiting for the lab results to come back to know if she's safe or not. She's my little trooper.




2 comments:

  1. I don't know you but a friend of mine recently liked your fitness page and when I followed that I found your post. I'm rooting for your kitty after reading this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just found out tonight there was 6cm of clean, cancer free tissue around the mass! I still cant believe all this happened, but i have never been so relieved! I will be posting a follow-up and getting some youtube videos up. Shes doing good at hobbling along!

      Delete