Saturday, December 31, 2011

How to grocery shop

Many people don't realize, eating healthy is expensive. This is a well known fact as many studies concerning the obesity rate of the lower class, who survive on cheat quick eats vs the upper class who can afford the time and money to cook fresh food. Add to that a Competition Diet, and well its a LOT. I figure it this way; most people got out to dinner occasionally, get drinks, etc. I don't so that money goes into my healthy food, ie ME! You have to be smart about your shopping. I used to use my credit cards and never look at the prices. Then after my competition I would see my CC bills and freak out. So I only buy with debit and I am much better.

Today I went to Costco, and here is what I found:
Frozen Atlantic Salmon - $7.33/lb
Frozen Tilapia - $6.00/lb
Fresh Farmed Atlantic Salmon - $7.99/lb
Fresh Farmed Tilapia - $5.99/lb
Multi-vitamins One-A-Day - $15 / 250ct
Cytosport Protein Powder - $40 /6lbs(75 servings)

I see people complain about costs of Supplements but you have to make smart choices. The last 2 items, a multi-vitamin and protein powder, I see as a necessity. I recommend them for ANY client I work with. I personally use Advocare for most of my supplements as it is great product. It is high quality, independently tested, and Guaranteed to have NO banned substances which is why athletes trust it. BUT, I also understand that some people are out of work or living paycheck-to-paycheck, these are rough times! So I keep an eye out for what can be used to still work and be affordable. 

If you go to a 'specialty' store, you're going to pay more. No doubt. It can be great product, but if you can't afford it, it doesn't really matter. You gotta do what you can, with what you have. You can get Protein powder for about $1/serving. Always check out the per serving cost! Just divide the cost by the servings listed. Be careful though, cuz they aren't all the same. Some proteins are more for men trying to build, so "1 serving" might be 2 for me, or another like female. I recommend a Lean protein, meaning it is just protein. 
Approve 20-25g Protein, <2g Carbs, <2g Fat. That should equal between 80-130 cals. At least when you are leaning out. You can have a lot more options in different phases of training(off-season, building, maintaining, etc.)

Eating clean may not be cheap. I mean, I can get a hamburger for $1 on a promo day, lol. But I'll feel like crap and I'll look like crap. GARBAGE IN = GARBAGE OUT. Fact.

1 comment: