Monday, January 16, 2012

Group Ex Instructin' ain't easy!

 I LOVE MY JOB! No better job than getting paid to workout! The fact that people come to the gym to take my class humbles me and I am constantly trying to learn and improve to give them what I can with the time they are spending with me. But I don't think a lot of people know what goes into all of it.

When I went through my MINOR in college to learn how to become a Group Ex Instructor (dual track minor mind you, with Personal Training) there were a lot of things to go over.
EDUCATION - I had to take courses in Anatomy, Physiology, a Physiology Lab where I learned how to take measurements and performs tests etc. We had internships in both club and rehab settings. I taught a portion of a class at Gold's Gym in Santa Barbara, I worked a quarter at a Cardiac Stage III Rehab facility at a community center, I interned another quarter at a Senior Fitness facility with Aqua Rehab. So when people take a 2-day cert...well, you may imagine how I feel. On top of that, many feel they don't NEED a Group Ex cert. REALLY?! Group Ex and Personal Training are NOT the same. The Liability Insurance alone is different.
MUSIC - You have music selection. Their are copyrights and instructors have been SUED because they played an artist's music in their class! The club will NOT protect you. That is why there are companies such as Power Music, Dynamix, Yes Music, etc that create either remade or remixed music so that you can use as they have paid for the copyrights for this purpose. There are BPM(beats per minute). Have you ever taken a class where something just felt....off? Step or dance where you're body is moving at a different time that the instructor? I have found myself off the beat many times. But I can make adjustments to get back on. Some, especially trainers or uneducated instructors, will have their class do sets of 10, not understanding that music is in 32count phrases so you must work in sets of 8. Also, there are different speeds for certain types of classes. It is unsafe to do a class such as Step, or Kickboxing at high speed as the risk of falling, slipping or otherwise injuring someone increases. There are also equipment safety concerns.
SAFETY - Using a Bosu, I've seen instructors have the class step on the flat side of the Bosu. You do not know the level of each participant nor are you able to spot them, especially in a large class. Funny enough, BOSU started printing a note on the bottom that its not to be used that way in Group Ex settings.
PROTECTING YOURSELF - We were taught NEVER to teach without a Mic. Last week, I taught SEVEN classes, no mic. Instructors also used to teach a TON of classes. We have learned how much it wears the body down. I currently teach 3) Cycling classes/week. I have learned Pilates and Aqua so that I can teach other types of classes without wearing down my body.
BEING PREPARED - I work at multiple clubs. I have learned their stereos, mics, and lack thereof are across the board.  I carry spare batteries, (AA & 9v), Ipod, ipod charger and CD's. You should be prepared for anything.

Now, the personal part. The ups are that you can't 'miss' your workout, it's scheduled in, AND you get paid. The down, is that you can be having the WORST day and you can't miss your workout lol. So some days, your world can literally be crashing down around you. .and you gotta just SUCK IT UP, put a HUGE smile on your face, and give them the workout they are there for. They are there for YOU to motivate THEM. I try to make sure I listen more than I talk, and I smile. At everyone. And some days, you get that one person. The person that interrupts you in the middle of class to question your music and tell you it's "not doing it for me", even though it's one of your most popular Cycling rides. Then they proceed to perform their own personal stretching routine in front of the class as you are coaching the class through a very hard climb. Then they leave before class is over. And then THEY complain to you at the front desk. And I SMILE. because that is what I do. Do I get upset? YES! Do I check in with my class to make sure they don't feel the same way? OH YEAH! I have great classes and they know me over all the years I've been there. I had one lady tell me once, "just in case you see me leave, it's because I just can't stand your voice." I smiled and said, 'oh'...What do you say to that??? lol She proceeded to make horrible noises to similate what I sound like to her. I smile. I'm speechless. People are rude. You have no idea what someone else is going through.

I love my job. But I'm human. I have feelings. I come in and try to be peppy even on the worst days. That's why it's my job. But man....I could never treat someone like that. If I take someone else's class I try to be supportive, even if I don't love it.  I teach when I'm sick, I teach when I'm carb deleting for a show sometimes. Because I don't want my class to ever miss their workout. They are what cheers me up at the end of the day, and the negatives are few and far between. So next time you have a great instructor, that lifts your day and gives you a great smile, give them some love. We appreciate it!! ;) xo

No comments:

Post a Comment