Saturday, January 14, 2012

Prep Time - Makeup! (2 weeks out)

Well, here we go! We are having posing practice with Robin once a week until the show. Last week we went to Max Muscle Blossom Hill and saw Phil Heath. Today after posing we went to MAC to get our makeup done. Next week after posing we will be getting our hair cut and colored. The pampering is such a nice change from the beatings we've been giving ourselves at the gym! Enough to pick up our spirits and start getting excited for our "girls weekend" ;)

On Stage
Back Stage
 Now many shows have people on site that you can contract/hire to do your hair or makeup or tanning. This can cost up to about $150 each. Last July for San Jose I hired a friend to do my makeup and it looked Awesome, but I can't always afford this, especially when looking at multiple shows. So I tan myself and do my own makeup and hair. When competing in a larger shows, or Nationals, hiring others is a must to compete at that level. So I go to MAC and make an appointment with an artist. It is VERY hard to explain what we do. So I go with my girls, and I bring a few photos of what we look like on and off stage(see above), and the Dream Tan bronzer so they get an idea just HOW DARK we will be! Otherwise they may just give you one shade darker than your natural color lol.

Going over the color chart
Dream Tan on the bottom right




Now, you're going to want STAGE makeup, so SUPER dark! As Alicia Marie once said to us at Savage Camp, "You will look scary to school children up close!" hahahaha

Fake eyelashes are DEFINITELY a must. No matter how great you think yours are, from way up on stage under all those lights, you will need the help. I got MAC #48 lashes, nice and full. Lashes are the absolute LAST thing you put on. You must use a liquid or powder for eyeliner (NO PENCIL) so that the glue from the lashes will hold. Curl your own eyelashes and add mascara, then apply the lashes and comb them together with an eyelash comb. I never put mascara on my 'falsies' or curl them. If you take good care of them, (don't shove them around, and always place them back in the container as you got them) you can use them for about 7 shows.

Once you're done, your makeup artist can draw a color chart for you showing you the colors & brushes used, where they are used and even the order to apply it. In these pics we found a dark foundation (Pro Longwear Foundation NW45) but then took it off and put a natural tone on to look normal for the rest of our day.

Now the makeup goes to the jawline and feathered up into the hairline. Your tanning gets feathered up to the jawline and then they should hopefully meet and blend. For lips, I was taught to use a 'plum' color, I use 'O' by MAC and I think this time I'll use some gloss over it. Now remember, this makeup is going to be on for a VERY long time, so use a primer, and set spray and bring your makeup with you for touch ups. The best thing is to go to the show COMPLETELY ready. You never know the venue, the lighting, availability of mirrors, outlets, etc. So I go to registration ready. I am up early around 5-6am, and ready for Athlete Brief & Check-in at 8am. Pre-judging usually starts at 10am and we end up on stage around 11-12pm for Figure or 1pm depending on the size of the show. Then we break from around 3pm-5:30pm. Come back, Finals starts around 6/6:30pm (all over again) and hopefully out by 11pm. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment